Vocabulary Activity - Idioms
English has several idiomatic expressions related to music. These are a few popular ones.
BE CLEAR AS A BELL: to be very understandable.
BE FIT AS A FIDDLE : to be very fit and healthy.
BLOW ONE'S OWN HORN/ TRUMPET : to praise oneself, brag or boast.
FACE THE MUSIC : to accept the consequences of doing something wrong.
IN TUNE / OUT OF TUNE : in agreement, according to harmony / discordant, not harmonious.
IT'S NOT OVER UNTIL THE FAT LADY SINGS : to not speculate about something until it is completed. This phrase comes from the opera.
JAZZ ( something ) UP : to make something more interesting or lively.
MARCH TO A DIFFERENT DRUMMER : to follow one's own ideas rather than being influenced by others; to be a bit eccentric.
MUSIC TO MY EARS : good news; information that makes someone happy.
PLAY BY EAR : to play a piece of music without looking at the notes; do something without much preparation.
RING A BELL : to sound familiar or think you've heard it before.
Complete the following sentences with words related to the idioms above:
- His suggestions are always a bit ______________ with reality.
- When I heard the song, some of the verses ____________ but then I realized there are many similar lyrics.
- Tom often _________ his gray suits with colorful ties.
- The team is not going to support us; they always ___________ .
- Even if the
campaign was a success, let's wait for the real figures. It's not
- Jan is always at the gym but with all the fast food he eats I don’t know how he can say that he’s _________ .
- Marty says she finds it difficult to __________ because she is shy.
- Jimmy will have to ___________ when his mom asks him who broke the window.
- We haven't had time to prepare for the meeting. We'll have to _________
- I thought I was getting this teeshirt _________, but I found out it has a little stain. That’s why its price was 50% off.
- It was __________ when our instructor said the test would be after the holidays.
- The walls are so thin that we can hear the neighbors talking as _________ .