Video & discussion activity – PBS
Life on Earth began in the sea, and today ocean life continues to nurture and sustain all of us, regardless of where we live.
One of the main problems for oceans nowadays is marine debris.
Marine debris is trash that ended up in the ocean and is washed up on beaches.
1)Watch the PBS video from the series “Jean-Michel Cousteau: Ocean Adventures” and answer the questions that follow.
- What are some of the items Jean-Michel Cousteau found on the beach on Laysan Island?
- Was Jean-Michel surprised with the garbage washed upon the shores?
- Where did these items come from?
- How does garbage wind up on the beaches of the Hawaiian Islands?
- What is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
- How much of the debris found in the ocean comes from land?
- How do they reach the ocean?
- Why do birds ingest plastic?
- How are birds affected by the plastic they ingest?
- Who is responsible for this problem?
Adapted from: Jean-Michel Cousteau: Ocean Adventures- PBS.org