Here are a few English expressions or idioms in honor of Halloween.
Now try the following exercise! Complete the sentences with an idiomatic expression, or a part of it, from the list above.
1. John came into the office, as pale as __________ after being mugged in the street.
2. Please change the channel. The Walking Dead always _________ me out.
3. The kids freaked __________ when we open the door wearing masks and costumes.
4. I was scared ___________ when I saw a shadow at my window.
5. John has a few ______________ in the _____________. He has accumulated tons of fines and tickets for bad driving and he lost his license last year.
6. We used to be best friends, but she _________________ by telling lies about me to everyone.
7. Last night my friends were telling urban legends that made my hair ________________.
8. A bat came in through the window and ___________ my little brother, and he started screaming.
9. Halloween movies scare the ____________ off me.
10. Suspense movies send ____________________. After watching one, I have nightmares all night.
11. When she saw a rat in the garden, little Tommy let out a ____________________.
12. A guy in the store kept looking at me as I was buying groceries. He was really giving me ____________________.
13. When we heard a noise coming from the basement we ran from the house _____________ out of hell.
14. You scared __________________ out of me with your plastic spiders. I thought they were real!
15. Is everything okay? You look as if ______________.
16. I was __________________ witless when the light in the old house turned on and off by itself.
17. I need to go to bed. It’s past the _____________.
18. When I was a kid I was terrified to cross the yard alone. Nowadays I do it but I still shake ___________________.
19. Your vampire mask is really ______________
20. I thought our team was going to win but I didn't say so because I didn't want to _____________ it.