Book Idioms - The Books Issue


Black book: a book containing a blacklist

By the book : According to the rules.

Hit the books: study.

Can’t judge a book by its cover: don't determine the worth of something based on its appearance.

Know like a book: to fully know someone or something.

Be an open book: someone or something easily understood or interpreted; something very clear:

Wrote the book on: be an expert on a topic.

In one's book : in one's own opinion

One for the book : a relevant or important act or occurrence.

To book something: make a reservation


Try the following exercise:

  1. I’ve never seen such a beautiful cake. That’s……………...
  2. ...........................that’s the best way to do it.
  3. We’d better ..................................a room at a hotel for the long weekend before it’s too late.
  4. It looks like it’s going to rain tomorrow. But you never know, you ............................................
  5. I wish I could go to the movies, but I've got to....................................
  6. He can’t lie, his face is  like……………………………...
  7. He’s a very responsible driver, always do things………………………….
  8. My grandmother is so awesome, she ........................................on being a grandparent.
  9. I’ve been to their house many times, I know the way......................
  10. Ever since I almost lost the client, I’m in the manager’s…………………………………...


No comments:

Post a Comment