Invitations & Suggestions - The Readers' Issue 2



What can you say in English when you need to make a suggestion, an invitations, a proposition?  Or accept or reject one?
Here are a few phrases to review or get you started:


SUGGESTING  ACTION ( including the speaker)

  • Let’s watch the game     (+ Infinitive verb)
  • Shall we stop by the supermarket? (+ Infinitive verb)
  • Perhaps we could go out for dinner.  (+ Infinitive verb)
  • Why don’t we study for the test next week?   (+ Infinitive verb)
  • What/ How about ...ordering pizza tonight? (+ ING  verb)   ... pizza tonight?  (+ Noun)
 ACCEPTING A SUGGESTION

  • Yes, that’s a great idea.
  • That sounds good.
  • Why not?
  • OK, sure.

REJECTING A SUGGESTION

  • Unfortunately .........
  • I’m sorry but, ........
  • Look, the problem is ......
  • I’d rather not.
  • I’m afraid I can’t.
 
Exercise
Two friends speak on the phone and try to make plans for the weekend. Complete the dialog with a suitable phrase from the box.


what about    -  yes, that’s a great idea   -  why not  -   shall we   
I’m afraid I can’t.  -   how about   -   we could  -   why don’t we  
that sounds    I'd rather not  -   why




Kim:    Hi Lucy, would you like to do something this weekend?
Lucy:    Sure. What (1)............ do?
Kim: I don't know. Do you have any ideas?
Lucy:  (2) ............ don't we see a film?
Kim:  (3)............. good to me. Which film shall we see?
Lucy:  (4) ................  What about “Violent Streets 2".
Kim:    (5)................ . I don't like violent films. (6) ............  see "Funny Bunny"? I hear it's a lot of fun.
Lucy:    OK. (7)................. . When is it on?
Kim:   It's on at 9.35 at the Hall Complex. Perhaps (8)................... have a bite to eat before the film?
Lucy:   Sure, (9) ..................? A burguer at Friday’s?
Kim:    (10).................... I’m veggetarian. (11) ................. going for pizza instead?
Lucy:    OK, no problem. See you at 'Mamma Mia' at 8?
Kim:    Yes, perfect! See you, bye.
Lucy:    Bye, see you later.





No comments:

Post a Comment