Telling the Future



 Song, Vocabulary and Writing Activity

Fortune Teller by Maroon 5

Fill in the blanks of the first part of the song with one verb from the box.

roll  turn  predict   brings  try   stay  end   leave   mean


“I'm not a fortune teller
I won't be bringing news of what tomorrow ....
I'll .... that up to you
I'm not a fortune teller
Don't have a crystal ball
I can't ....  the future
Can't see nothing at all
It doesn't .... I'm afraid of all the things that you say
But I just think we should ....
Stuck in the moment today
And as the seasons .... by
No matter how hard I ....
Summer will .... and the leaves will ....  again.”


Fill in the blanks for the rest of the song with a verb form – only one word. Base your choice on the context and the theme.


“I don't know why you're ... like this
I don't know why you .... to do it again
Why'd you have to go and .... the night
Don't .... about tomorrow's mess.

I never know how the future will ....
I don't know what to .... you, I'm not a fortune teller
I never ...., but I want you to ....
I don't know what to .... you, I'm not a fortune teller.

I don't like .... TV
I don't know what that all ....
And your American dream, baby it just .... in me
I know that what I'm ...., may not be on your mind
I know the song I'm ...., it's not your favorite kind
It doesn't mean I'm afraid of all the things that you ....
But I just think we should ....
Stuck in the moment today
And as the seasons ... by
No matter how hard I ....
Summer will .... and the leaves will .... again.

This feeling, keeps ...., these rivers keep ....
How can I have answers when you .... me in questions.”


Check your work with the clip.





Discuss the questions below:


  • Do you worry about the future?
  • Is it possible to predict it?
  • Do you believe that some people can actually predict the future?
  • What are some ways used to tell fortunes? Fortune-telling or divination is the practice of predicting the future through mystical means.
  • Would you consult with a fortune teller? Why (not)?
  • What would you like to know about the future and what wouldn’t you like to know? Why (not)?



Read the following comments and give your opinion. Afterwards, choose one and expand the idea in writing.








No comments:

Post a Comment