Expressing Appreciation



Vocabulary/ Idioms Activity


Here are a few ways people have to express gratitude and appreciation in English.


I am grateful.  / I am so grateful (to you)


I am so thankful

I really appreciate it. / I really appreciate... (sth)

I’d like to express my (deepest) gratitude.

(I) can't thank you enough.

It was very kind of you.
 
Thank goodness!/ Thank heavens!

Thank one's lucky stars

Thank you for having me/ us. - a polite expression said to a host or hostess on departure.

Thank you for sharing. -sarcastic remark made when someone tells something unpleasant

Thank you kindly. – formal and polite.

Thank you very much / Thank you so much/ Thanks a million  - polite, emphatic.

Thanks a lot. - Informal or sarcastic remark indicating there is nothing to be grateful for.

You’ve been very helpful/ really sweet / a doll / very thougthful.





Responding To Thanks

You’re welcome.
Not at all.
Don’t mention it.
(It’s) my pleasure.
It was nothing.
That’s alright/OK.
No problem.
Any time.
Sure.



Find the missing word to complete the sentences.


1.Thanks a lot ....................   a lovely evening. Pizza was delicious.
a)by  b)for  c)to

2.Thank you for ....................... I was desperate to hear about your sister’s operation.
a)telling  b)comparing  c) sharing

3.
A:That's a lovely tie, John
B.Thank you .........................., ma'am.
a) kindly  b)politely  c)really

4.We would like to express our gratitude ........................  you for coming tonight.
a)to  b)for  c)on

5.We were all so worried, I am so ............................... you are OK.
a) thankful  b) appreciate  c)gratitude

6.Thanks a lot for ........................  my life.
a)to ruin  b) ruining c) to ruining

7.There was a flood on the road but we managed to get here, ..........................  heavens!
a)thank you  b)thankful   c) thank

8.You can thank your lucky .............................  that dad was home to help you.
a)charm  b) stars  c)angel

9.
A:Here's a little something for your recent birthday, Jen.
B:What a surprise! Thank you so .............................
a)really  b) much  c)lot

10.Oh, this is the book you mentioned... I can't thank you ............
a)a lot  b)kindly  c) enough
 
11.I really ................................  the ride.
a)thank you   b) appreciate   c)grateful

 12.
A:Good-bye, glad you could come.
B:I had a great time. Thank you ............................ me.
a)to have  b)having  c) for having

13.Is this for me? Oh, you’re a ................................ Lily!
a)sweet   b) thougthful  c)doll

14.I am .................................. for your assistance. You are a life saver.
a) grateful  b) thougthful  c)sweet

15. Rick, I’d like to express my ........................................ gratitude for helping find a new job.
a)really  b) deepest  c)thougthful



No comments:

Post a Comment