Thank You by Dido



Song, vocabulary & discussion activity

Source: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TO48Cnl66w


1.Watching the Clip
We are going to watch the video clip of a song made popular by Dido.  Which of the actions below  take place in the story? In which order do these take place? (Look up any words you don’t know in your dictionary)




a)bulldozers tear down the house

b)a policeman takes her cat away

c)movers taking out furniture

d)she moves into a new apartment

e)her belongings are left in the street

f)she gets a check

g)she is happy to leave

h)she is taken out of the house
 
i)policemen knocking on the door

j)a lamp is broken accidentally

k)she gets an eviction notice

l)neighbors help her


2.The Song
Watch the clip again, paying more attention to the words this time and check the words you hear:


House
Rest
Bath
Bills
Rain

Soap
Cloudy
Phone
Pillow
Tea

Pain
Tree
Bus
Towel
Clue

Home
Door
Job
Picnic
Fish

What is the song about?
What is the general tone of the song? Is it a happy song? Is it sad?
How does the singer feel and look?
Is there a connection between the song and the video? Why (not)? Compare and contrast.


3.The Lyrics
Analyze the words and find any necessary definitions in your dictionary.
Has your opinion changed?  Do you find any other elements you didn’t notice or understand before? Go again over the questions in the previous section.  Find proof for your answers.


My tea's gone cold, I'm wondering why
I got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my window
And I can't see at all

And even if I could it'd all be gray
But your picture on my wall
It reminds me that it's not so bad
It's not so bad

I drank too much last night, got bills to pay
My head just feels in pain
I missed the bus and there'll be hell today
I'm late for work again

And even if I'm there, they'll all imply
That I might not last the day
And then you call me and it's not so bad
It's not so bad

And I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
And, oh, just to be with you
Is having the best day of my life

Push the door, I'm home at last
And I'm soaking through and through
And then you handed me a towel
And all I see is you

And even if my house falls down now
I wouldn't have a clue
Because you're near me

And I want to thank you
For giving me the best day of my life
And, oh, just to be with you
Is having the best day of my life




No comments:

Post a Comment