English has several idiomatic expressions related to dogs. These are a few popular ones.
a dog's life: constantly worried, troubled or miserable
as sick as a dog: very ill
barking dog seldom/never bites: people who look aggressive are not really too bad
dog days: Hot, sultry summer weather; also, a period of stagnation.
dog eat dog: (adj) when people compete against each other and do anything
to get what they want; a dog eat dog world/situation
dog in a catsuit: A cat that appears to be rather too large to be a cat.
doggone: damned ( as an exclamation).
doggy bag: small bag for taking home the food that is left over from a meal in a restaurant
every dog has his day: everyone can succeed sooner or later
It's raining cats and dogs: (old-fashioned) something that you say when it is raining very heavily
love me, love my dog: if one loves somebody, one should love everyone and
everything associated with him
the underdog: a person or team that is weaker than the others, and is always expected to be unsuccessful
to be like a dog with two tails: to be very happy
to dog it: to work lazily
to give a dog a bad name (and hang him): once a person has lost his reputation, it's difficult to regain it.
to go to the dogs: for an organization to become less efficient
to let sleeping dogs lie: to let it be quiet
you can't teach an old dog new tricks: it's difficult for an old person to change or do new things
Complete the following sentences with words related to the idioms above.
- We couldn’t finish our meal at the restaurant so we asked the waiter for a ....
- She was as... after eating so much at the banquet.
- He's been leading a... since his wife left him.
- Ben doesn't like sports, he's not very interested in them. As they say, it’s hard...
- They may not listen to me now, but just wait, every dog ....
- Ellie doesn’t work very hard. She’s always checking her Twitter status. She’s always ..... it!
- I know I'm old fashioned, and have strange habits but my wife puts up with me. You know, “love me...”
- Mom likes to yell at us but we know she’s harmless. A barking....
- Since the recession the company is going...
- Even though the scandal was clarified, Jen was never trusted again. I guess it’s what the say: Give a dog...
- I usually root for the ... instead of the favorite.
- Rob did not pass his driving test and he feels embarrassed. Don’t say anything, let...
- My team won the championship! I’m like...
- It's raining .... out there! We’d better stay.
- It's so hard to get much work done during the... of Summer.
- I thought it was a dog but no, it's just a dog in....!
- The financial industry here is very competitive. It’s a .... world.
- This .... wi-fi connection is always down! How annoying!