How can I write business emails easily? - The Readers' Issue 1


INTRODUCTION

 Who you address the email and how you close it:

1. You do not know the person’s name :   Dear Sir ... Sincerely
        Dear Madam ... Sincerely

2. You do not know if it is a man or a woman : Dear Sir or Madam ... Sincerely

3. You know the person’s name:   Dear Mr Hanson ... Sincerely / Best wishes/Best regards

4. You are writing to a colleague:     Dear Jack ... Best wishes/Best regards

5. You address a whole department, company or institution :   Dear Sirs ... Best regards




Referencing
 With reference to... your advertisement.
         ...your letter of 23 rd March
         ...your phone call today

Thank you for your letter of March 5 th .

Purpose
I am writing to enquire about...
        ... to apologize for
        ...to confirm



 10 great phrases to start an email:


With reference to your letter of 8 June, I ...
I am writing to enquire about ...
After having seen your advertisement in ... , I would like ...
After having received your address from ... , I ...
I received your address from ... and would like ...
We/I recently wrote to you about ...
Thank you for your letter of 8 May.
Thank you for your letter regarding ...
Thank you for your letter/e-mail about ...
In reply to your letter of 8 May, ...


EMAIL BODY


Requests
Could you possibly ( + infinitive ....) ?
I would be grateful if you could...

Accepting Requests
I would be delighted to...
It would be a pleasure to...


Rejecting Requests
Unfortunately I/ we will not be able to ...
I am afraid that...

Enclosing Documents
I am enclosing...
Please find enclosed...
Enclosed you will find...



FINAL PART



Closing the message
Thank you for your help
Please contact us again if we can help in any way.
        ... if there are any problems.
        ... if you have any questions.

Reference to Future Contact
I look forward to ...  hearing from you soon.
        ...to meeting you next Tuesday.
        ...to seeing you next Thursday.



 5 great phrases to close a message:



If you require any further information, feel free to contact me.
I look forward to your reply /  to hearing from you.
Please advise as necessary.
We look forward to a successful working relationship in the future.
I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment